Here’s what we have discovered:
- People want to make a difference….this year over 300 Ikea Bags went out the first weekend in November. Yes we are ordering more.
- People like simple…people grab a bag as they leave a weekend service. The instructions stapled to the bag help guide people as they purchase the food items.
- People enjoy the sense of togetherness…We encourage participation: families packing the bag together, or joining with friends, or joining as a small group to fill the bag. Be creative by adding a worship set and breaking up into small groups for prayer…then introducing the team leaders, and receiving instructions and maps.
- Some people like to participate but don’t want to go on the outreach…that’s ok, participating at any level is appreciated. The ‘no go but want to serve people’ will bring their filled boxes at 9:30am. The others show up at 10:30am. Have a crew at both times to help people unload then load the dinners.
- People like the fact that we go to the areas we have consistently served in the past…example: we will be divided up into three huge teams, caravan to the locations in order to reach out to three apartment complexes in different parts of the city.
- People like the adventure…we go to apartments unannounced, offer the Thanksgiving meal and offer prayer. When we leave the home we place a small sticker on the door notifying the rest of the team that the stickered door is a home we have served.
- People who serve begin to see life through an outward focused lense…One family went to a home and offered the Thanksgiving dinner. The single mom invited the family inside to place the dinner on her table. The family noticed…all she had in her apartment was the table. Their perspective changed. Their hearts were softened through the experience and began to view life through a different lens.
Going, serving, praying = caring for others …an outward focused life.
Thanks so much for helping to make Thanksgiving possible.
This year’s date for Turkeys Giving Away Turkeys is Saturday, November 17th. We will meet at 10:30am and join team leaders to head out to three different locations. (we go to low income apartments un-announced.
How to participate: Join together as family, friends, or a small group to fill up the IKEA bag with items listed below.
- 2 Cans Corn
- 2 Cans Green Beans
- 1 Large Can Yams
- 1 Can Cranberry Sauce
- 1 Box Au Gratin Potatoes
- 1 Box Brownies
- 2 Boxes Mac and Cheese
- 1 Dinner Bag Rolls
- 1 Box Stuffing Mix
- 1 FROZEN Turkey
- Roasting Pan
- 1 Pie
- Fresh Veggies
- Fun Stuff
If you are going on the outreach… Please leave your dinner box in your car come in for instructions and to join a team.
If you only want to participate by filling a turkey dinner and not go on the outreach…Please drop the filled bag off at 9:30am.